Originally published June 6, 2012
Honor and privelege. Those are the only two words that come to mind when we think aboutour opportunity to partnernership with Chris Duhon's Stand Tall Foundation to capture their 2012 Scholorship Award Banquet and 2012 Golf Tournament. Below are a few words from the Chris Duhon's Stand Tall Foundation Mission Statement and website:
"Everyday is an opportunity to contribute to the quality of a child's life, through recreation, education and welfare. Chris Duhon's Stand Tall Foundation is committed to building up children who are the foundation of our communities. We believe an educated child has unlimited possibilities and it is our desire to serve the community in ways that are significant and will directly benefit the community's most valued citizens, children and youth.
"Chris Duhon is a 2000 Honors Graduate of Salmen High School, Slidell, LA. He also graduated from Duke University, Durham, NC, in June 2004 with a degree in Sociology and certificate in Business Marketing. Chris was an intricate integral member of the 2001 NCAA National Championship Basketball Team while attending Duke. He currently plays for the NBA Orlando Magic."
Some of the foundation's ongoing projects include the
- Chris Duhon Stand Tall Foundation Scholarship, which offers a $5,000 scholarship to graduating Saint Tammany Parish public school seniors;
- Classroom support, financial and material aid for students and teacher's;
- Stand Tall for Hope Mentorship Program, created in partnership with the Seminole County Public Schools (SCPS) in Seminole County, Florida to assist homeless children currently being served by the SCPS Families in Transition (FIT) Program;
- Chris Duhon Basketball Camp, a five-day camp designed for boys & girls, ages 7-15 which focuses on the fundamentals of basketball such as ball-handling, passing, shooting, dribbling, footwork, defense and rebounding;
- Chris Duhon Stand Tall Against Hunger Kick-Off Event to benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida which included a 12 day food drive to take place at Magic home games and all Central Florida FAIRWINDS Credit Union locations;
Chris Duhon and The Stand Tall Foundation Annual Thanksgiving Food Giveaway in partnership with Feed the Children, benefit at-risk children and their families, 400 in total, who are pre-selected to receive boxes of food, which includes a 10-lb turkey, non-perishable food and personal care items;
Boys and Girls Club of Southeast Louisiana, the Chris Duhon Stand Tall Foundation supports the Boys and Girl's Club in their mission to offer a full schedule of club programs that promote the development of boys and girls. These activities build character, cultivate new skills, and create a sense of belonging;
Annual Chris Duhon Charity Golf Tournament includes a Million Dollar Shoot OUt, 4 Man Scramble, 50/50 Raffle, Door Prizes, Hole-in-one winner, Closest to the Pin cash prizes and Putting contest;
The Chris Duhon Stand Tall Foundation (CDSTF) in partnership with Art of Stepping (AOS) volunteer together for The Sneakers-2-Succeed (S2) Campaign, a year-long campaign, to collect new or gently used sneakers for children in need; and;
Chris Duhon Stand Tall Foundation Operation 21 - To help in continuing relief efforts in his home state of Louisiana which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, Chris made a personal donation of $100,000 and established the Stand Tall Foundation. Through his foundation, he launched Operation 21, a project to refurbish 21 outdoor basketball courts in New Orleans and his hometown of Slidell.
Honor and privelege will remain the only two words we can think of as we step into this journey created by Chris Duhon's Stand Tall Foundation.